[Marxism] Joker | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Nov 3 15:40:56 MST 2019

The first thing that strikes you about “Joker” is its open homage to two
of Martin Scorsese’s films: “Taxi Driver” and “King of Comedy”. From
“Taxi Driver”, it borrows the main character’s borderline personality
and the portrayal of New York City as hell on earth. Travis Bickle, the
Vietnam evidently suffering from PTSD, puts it this way: “All the
animals come out at night – whores, skunk pussies, buggers, queens,
fairies, dopers, junkies, sick, venal. Someday a real rain will come and
wash all this scum off the streets. I go all over. I take people to the
Bronx, Brooklyn, I take ’em to Harlem. I don’t care. Don’t make no
difference to me. It does to some. Some won’t even take spooks. Don’t
make no difference to me.”

While “King of Comedy” is not considered vintage Scorsese, it was made
to order for his main character Arthur Fleck, whose last name even
evokes De Niro’s character in “Taxi Driver”. In “King of Comedy”, De
Niro plays an aspiring stand-up comedian who idolizes Jerry Langford,
the Johnny Carson-like late night host played by Jerry Lewis. To connect
with Scorsese’s film, De Niro is cast as a late night host but with much
more of a mean streak—think of David Letterman waking up on the wrong
side of bed.

full: https://louisproyect.org/2019/11/03/joker/