[Marxism] Peppermint Candy | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Nov 6 13:11:24 MST 2019

In a stellar Nation Magazine review of “Parasite”, the overhyped new
Korean film directed by Bong Joon-ho, E. Tammy Kim writes:

	South Korea’s best filmic interpreter of class and social inequality is
not Bong but Lee Chang-dong, who made last year’s elegiac Burning as
well as Poetry (2010) and one of my all-time favorites, Peppermint Candy
(1999). But Lee is too understated to draw the kinds of audiences that
Bong can. Asked about his hopes for Parasite, Bong said that it “is in
parts funny, frightening, and sad, and if it makes viewers feel like
sharing a drink and talking over all the ideas they had while watching
it, I’ll wish for nothing more.” Which ideas does he have in mind?
Inequality, betrayal, and a kind of we’re-all-doing-our-best
both-sides-ism are most apparent. The film doesn’t push us further—to
mull Korea’s crisis of affordable housing, discrimination against the
poor, fetishization of English and Western commodities, and glut of
overeducated, underemployed youth driving the parasitic family’s scheme.

Just by coincidence, I urged FB friends to see “Peppermint Candy”, a
film I reviewed twenty years ago. Below is that review followed by a
link to a YouTube video that will allow you to see the film for only
$2.99. It is a masterpiece that deserves the kind of accolades the
crowd-mentality critical establishment is now lavishing on “Parasite”.

full: https://louisproyect.org/2019/11/06/peppermint-candy/