[Marxism] Capital in the 21st Century | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Nov 10 13:22:11 MST 2019

This minute, the documentary “Capital in the Twenty-First Century” is
playing at the SVA Theater as part of the DOC NYC film festival.
Obviously, this review is behind the curve but you will still be able to
see it in theaters in July 2020. It is based on Thomas Piketty’s
816-page book of the same name, with Piketty reprising some of the same
arguments found there. Since I doubt that many of my readers, including
me, have read Piketty’s book, the film is must-viewing if for no other
reason that it will familiarize you with the post-Keynesian foundation
upon which the book rests. Besides Piketty, you will hear from other
economists and social scientists who are trying to figure out a way to
combat neoliberalism without going the whole hog and becoming—god
forbid—Marxists. This includes Joseph Stiglitz, Gillian Tett of the
Financial Times, and Suresh Naidu, a youngish Columbia University
professor who organized a conference there celebrating the work of
Samuel Bowles and Herbert Gintis. Bowles and Gintis are famous (or
infamous) for their criticisms of “orthodox Marxism”, i.e., Marxism. I
have a strong suspicion that post-Keynesianism or post-Marxism (about
the same thing really) will give you a leg up in a tight job market in
the academy.

full: https://louisproyect.org/2019/11/10/capital-in-the-21st-century/