[Marxism] The 2019 Other Israel Film Festival | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Nov 12 13:10:54 MST 2019

For as long as I can remember, I’ve received invitations to cover the
Other Israel Film Festival in New York that I’ve consistently ignored.
This was largely a reaction to the word Israel rather than Other. In the
back of my mind, the idea of covering the festival was a violation of
the BDE campaign even though I have been covering Israeli films for as
long as I have been a Rotten Tomatoes critic. Recently, I wrote a review
of an Israeli documentary titled “Advocate”, whose subject Lea Tsemel is
a 73-year old Israel attorney who might be compared to William Kunstler
in her willingness to take on cases of outcasts that are prejudged in
the media just like The Central Park Five. Both her and her husband were
members of the Israeli Trotskyist movement and utterly fearless in their
anti-Zionist stance. If you haven’t seen this powerful documentary, you
can do so now as part of the Other Israel Film Festival that opens on
Thursday, November 14th.

full:
https://louisproyect.org/2019/11/12/the-2019-other-israel-film-festival/