[Marxism] Gallup Survey shows majority denounces Assad and YPG deal with the regime

Nick Fredman nick.j.fredman at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 16:26:06 MST 2019

No, I’m not kidding, as it’s very obviously true. Whatever specific favors
Alawites are granted, and despite Syria’s multi-ethnic and multi-lingual
reality, Arabic is the only official language in Syria, and the only
language allowed in schools, big issues for many oppressed peoples around
the world. On a more symbolic but related note, Assad has repeatedly
refused suggestions that the name of the state be changed from the Syrian
Arab Republic or the army from the Syrian Arab Army. This is very literal,
institutional chauvinism, likely to affect the beliefs of ordinary Arabs
grown up in a context where only one language and ethnicity is deemed truly
of the nation, and no doubt explains the opposition to all community
languages being used in schools in Rojava.