[Marxism] Some conversations here in Chile

Dayne Goodwin daynegoodwin at gmail.com
Sat Nov 16 17:54:11 MST 2019

On Sat, Nov 16, 2019 at 8:35 AM Andrew Pollack via Marxism
<marxism at lists.csbs.utah.edu> wrote:
> Interesting quotes on privatization.
> And loved the distinction between reforming health insurance versus the
> healthcare system as a whole (remember that our focus in the US is almost
> exclusively about insurance).

In the U.S. there has been a notable change from talking about
universal healthcare to expanding insurance coverage during the last
thirty years.  During our push for a single-payer healthcare system
during the 1992 U.S. presidential election cycle and in the first year
or two of the Clinton administration (before everyone learned that the
Clintons had sold-out that prospect in an agreement with the giant
private profit health insurance corporations) the public discussion
was about how to get universal "healthcare".  Obama administration
refused to even pretend to consider single-payer and confined the
public discussion to expanding private profit health insurance
coverage.