[Marxism] A Spy Complex Revealed - Leaked Iranian Intelligence Reports Expose Tehran’s Vast Web of Influence in Iraq

Ralph Johansen mdriscollrj at charter.net
Sun Nov 17 23:45:52 MST 2019

The Intercept and the New York Times shared leaked documents detailing
the operations of Iran’s Ministry of Intelligence and Security in Iraq
from late 2013 through early 2015.

https://tinyurl.com/uqs2uek

EDITOR’S NOTE

An Unprecedented Leak

The source said they wanted to “let the world know what Iran is doing in
my country Iraq.” They sent The Intercept 700 pages of secret
intelligence reports, but never revealed their own identity.

This kind of leak is unprecedented for Iran, a country with a highly
secretive government and spy agencies that guard their confidential
information zealously.

In the months after we received the leaked documents, we had them
translated from Persian and then had the translations cross-checked.
Once we determined their significance — the reports detail the
operations of Iran’s Ministry of Intelligence and Security in Iraq from
late 2013 through early 2015 — we approached the New York Times and
proposed a reporting partnership. The article we jointly published with
the Times just moments ago is the product of months of collaboration.

We found in the files a fascinating tale of how Tehran’s spies and
assets wove a vast web of influence in Iraq, infiltrating nearly every
aspect of social and political life. Popular outrage over Iranian
meddling was already fueling massive protests in Iraq as this story went
to press.

The Intercept also published stories based on the leaked reports
exploring how Iranian intelligence conducted its own shadow campaign
against ISIS; how the Muslim Brotherhood and Iran’s Quds Force held a
secret summit in a Turkish hotel to plot against their common enemy,
Saudi Arabia; and how the disastrous U.S. invasion gave Iran an opening
to shape a new political order in Iraq.