[Marxism] How to Save the Planet and Ourselves

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Nov 18 06:30:18 MST 2019

By Chris Hedges

If you read only one book this year, it should be Roger Hallam’s “Common
Sense for the 21st Century: Only Nonviolent Rebellion Can Now Stop
Climate Breakdown and Social Collapse.”

Hallam’s lucid and concise book, which echoes Thomas Paine’s “Common
Sense,” says what many of us now know to be true but do not say: If we
do not replace the ruling elites soon we are finished as a species. It
is a cogent, well-argued case for global rebellion—the only form of
resistance that can save us from ecosystem collapse and human-induced
genocide. It correctly analyzes the failure of environmentalist
activists in groups such as 350.org to understand and confront global
corporate power and thus make a meaningful impact as we barrel toward
ecocide. “Common Sense for the 21st Century” is a survival manual for
the human species.

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/how-to-save-the-planet-and-ourselves/