[Marxism] Holodomor, Genocide & Russia: the great Ukrainian challenge

Paul Flewers trusscott.foundation at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Nov 23 10:20:22 MST 2019

One problem I have with the idea of the Ukrainian Holodomor is that it tends to obscure the fact that the famine went far beyond Ukraine, and badly affected Southern Russia and the North Caucasus as well. Also, whilst the Nazis' Holocaust was a deliberate attempt to exterminate Europe's Jews and Roma, likewise with the Turkish genocide of the Armenians; contrary to what some Ukrainian historians insist, it is not at all established whether Stalin's regime was intent on a genocidal policy towards Ukrainians -- which I highly doubt -- or intended its agricultural policies to lead to mass starvation either in Ukraine or in the other affected areas. That Stalin continued with these agricultural policies after their deadly impact became apparent is true, but that does not mean that such results were desired or intended.

Paul F