[Marxism] Trump Flies Into the Cuckoo’s Nests

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Oct 10 08:34:57 MDT 2019

NY Times Op-Ed, Oct. 10, 2019
Trump Flies Into the Cuckoo’s Nests
By Gail Collins

Two ways to judge anything Donald Trump does these days: A) Is it a good
idea? And B) Is it further evidence he’s going nuts?

Think about Turkey. Over the weekend, Turkish President Recep Tayyip
Erdogan was preparing to attack our old Kurdish allies in northern
Syria. The White House announced late Sunday night that it was O.K. with
the whole deal and was pulling out the small American military
contingent that’s been fighting alongside the Kurds.

Nobody seemed to have run this by Defense Secretary Mark (Finally
Confirmed!) Esper, who sent out a tweet Monday morning opposing the
Turkish operation. Which was later deleted.

“If Turkey does anything that I, in my great and unmatched wisdom,
consider to be off limits I will totally destroy and obliterate the
economy of Turkey,” Trump reassured the nation.

Well, we’ve always known he suffers from delusions of grandeur. (“There
are those that think I’m a very stable genius.”) And although the way
the administration handled the whole Turkey thing was wildly inept,
we’ve known for a long time there’s no ept in this White House.

But here’s the other part: Donald Trump is in the middle of a super
impeachment crisis, and he’s surviving in office only through Senate
Republicans’ support. And he chose this time to create a foreign affairs
uproar guaranteed to outrage and offend the Republican senators.

“Pray for our Kurdish allies who have been shamelessly abandoned by the
Trump Administration. This move ensures the emergence of ISIS,” tweeted
Lindsey Graham.

This from a fervid supporter. If Graham were, say, a miniature poodle,
he’d be the one trotting along, carrying the master’s socks in his mouth.

The president’s sudden decision to give a shout-out to the Turkish
government came after a phone call with Erdogan. By now there have been
so many phone-related disasters you’d think the family would have taken
away his communication devices. But Trump believes he’s always very
careful and conscious that tons of people are listening in. “My
knowledge — I know all about it,” he told reporters at a press
conference last week.

The gathering degenerated into a yelling meltdown, during which our
president declared that House Intelligence Committee chairman Adam
Schiff “had some kind of a mental breakdown.”

Nobody muttered “takes one to know one.”

Most of the Republicans are just sort of curled up under their beds,
quivering. Lately, the squad of across-the-board Trump defenders has
dwindled down to people like Representative Matt Gaetz of Florida.
Perhaps you remember Gaetz having argued that violence in America was
not due to guns but to “illegal aliens.” This time he said that the
impeachment process was “a kangaroo court and chairman Schiff is acting
like a malicious Captain Kangaroo.”

Well, you take whoever you can get and Trump does not currently have a
lot of universally enthusiastic troops. Representative Liz Cheney of
Wyoming called the American pullout from Syria a “catastrophic mistake.”
Any daughter of Dick Cheney is going to be a person who can overlook a
whole lot. When you lose her, you’re really down to … Matt Gaetz.

All this is going on while the White House is refusing to let Congress
have access to administration officials who have information on the
whistle-blower charges. Which, as of course you remember, stem from the
time the man who believes he knows all about being careful on phone
calls tried to get the Ukraine president to come up with some dirt on
the foreign business dealings of Joe Biden’s son.

The man who later demanded that China investigate Hunter Biden’s
business dealings there. Even China found that loony, a high standard
for a country that can’t even manage to have a reasonable relationship
with basketball teams.

And, of course, the president whose daughter and son-in-law have both
been working for the White House while raking in tens of millions of
dollars from their business dealings. Some came from the clothing Ivanka
manufactured in places like … China.

Why would he bring up children making money abroad? This isn’t just a
guy who makes stupid decisions. It’s a guy who’s off his rocker. Whose
great pal is Rudy Giuliani, the talking head whose TV appearances can
terrify toddlers. I’m not saying Trump is the only unbalanced person in
this story. Just that he’s the only one who controls our nuclear weapons.

In a happier time Americans went about their lives, complaining about
Washington, then sort of shrugging and moving on to a discussion of the
World Series. Or medieval history. Or goat yoga. Whatever. Now we aren’t
even free to change the subject. We’re looking at the pileup and
wondering whether the next thing will usher in the Big Crackup.

So there’s the president of the United States. Trying to get around the
current controversy by rebranding the Turkish invasion “a bad idea.”
Stonewalling Congress on the whistle-blower crisis. Which includes a
report that one White House official who listened to Trump’s phone call
with Ukraine’s president described it as — yes! — “crazy.”

What a coincidence.

The Times is committed to publishing a diversity of letters to the
editor. We’d like to hear what you think about this or any of our
articles. Here are some tips. And here’s our email: letters at nytimes.com.

Follow The New York Times Opinion section on Facebook, Twitter
(@NYTopinion) and Instagram.