[Marxism] Country Music | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Oct 12 12:17:24 MDT 2019

Many people associate country music with those whom Hillary Clinton
called “deplorables” or those Obama characterized as clinging to their
guns and religion. I felt that way myself until I got to Houston in 1973
and began listening to country music driving to work each day. This was
before the two country stations had become commercialized and
unlistenable just as is the case with NYC’s WNSH (as in Nashville). You
could hear Johnny Cash, Kris Kristofferson, Loretta Lynn, and even
classics from Hank Williams in each and every hour. It also helped that
my best friend in Houston, the late Nelson Blackstock, was an avid
country music fan with a large collection. The two of us used to go hear
Asleep at the Wheel whenever they were in town. This was a Western Swing
band that played in the style of Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys. It
was led by Ray Benson, a Jew from Philadelphia who Nelson adored.

full: https://louisproyect.org/2019/10/12/country-music/