[Marxism] [pen-l] Re: Brief Reflection on Trump?s Impeachment By Roberto Savio

Ralph Johansen mdriscollrj at charter.net
Tue Oct 15 15:20:17 MDT 2019

It is soon before the fact. It's more like reading tea leaves at this
premature point. But just for the sake of argument, I recall that Trump
was down and out in polls assessing the popular vote last time around,
but they had it wrong. 'Class dynamics' did not prevail over media and
electoral savvy, and he has part of the ruling class, at least and
possibly a preponderance, going along with him, especially if he shows
promise of leading the Republicans into majorities in Congress. Without
some countering crisis, always. With that in mind and no alternative
strong candidate in the wings for them, with their ability to twist
rules and procedure, McConnell, Graham and House Republican counterparts
may well be effective in shutting off and damping criticism as partisan
and distorted. The Democratic-led House placing disproportionate
emphasis on Ukraine and China, or maybe even finances and emoluments
seems like a loser for a 2/3 majority to impeach, and so what else? No
prospects for 29th amendment. Proof of incompetence to voter and
Senate-majority satisfaction? Pence as alternative? Rock and a hard place.

And given his demonstrated capacity to manipulate and virtually command
a generally hostile msm, the blowback and his declaration of victory and
cleanliness with an unsuccessful attempt to impeach him has to be factored.

Moreover, as to his 'demented' condition, that may be but with all his
practice on his tv show he plays on that quality of sarcastic, outraged,
zany, off-the-prompter unpredictability quite effectively. Watch that
speech in Minneapolis https://tinyurl.com/yxvc4ncj; it's the first time
I have watched all the way through a Trump rally. There's a woman in
about the third row on his left, looks like just out of a tanning
parlor. She also looks as though she might be on something
mind-altering. But she epitomizes to me a Trump supporter: going ape at
his every exaggerated, distorted, deflecting or untruthful phrase,
without a critical or reflective cell in her brain. I fear, when the
frenzy rises near election time, in a severely divided, disaffected
polity, with an unspoken background elements of class, xenophobia,
resentment at elitism and lost status driving it, that this is an
amplifying trend. We know the history of authoritarian rule and the
irrational and the present course and we should not ignore it.

And the uncertain disarray among the discredited Democrats - they're not
like the Republicans last time, set to field a runaway candidate, not
one with appeal to enough of their base, at any rate, out of a pack
where the leaders, equally divided in preference, are 71, 78 and 79
(historically, according to Nate Silver, 55 is the median age for
presidents) with heart problems suddenly on the minds of Democratic
votersand never mind Trump at 73 with his domination of candidacy and
his conservative, older, more committed constituency.

I don't have to present as a Cassandra to conclude that we're in dire,
dangerous straits, regardless of the outcome of all of this, given the
larger picture and all that is coming at us - and the absence of
visible, viable alternatives. So what of that?

https://www.other-news.info/2019/10/brief-reflection-on-trumps-impeachment/