[Marxism] [SUSPICIOUS MESSAGE] Re: Statement of the Internationalist Commune on the agreement between self-administration and the Syrian state

Chris Slee chris_w_slee at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 17 02:47:47 MDT 2019

When discussing the rebel movement in northern Syria, we should remember that it is not a united force.

In 2014 Jabhat al-Nusra attacked and crushed the Syrian Revolutionaries Front.  Some of the survivors of the SRF formed the Army of Revolutionaries (a predominantly Arab organisation), which later linked up with the Kurdish YPG/YPJ and other groups to form the Syrian Democratic Forces.

Thus when the SDF captured Tal Rifaat in early 2016, I would assume that the Arab component of the SDF would have played a major role. I would guess that for some of them Tal Rifaat would have been their home town.

Having said that, I will admit that the alliance with Assad makes me uneasy.  It is probably necessary in the face of the Turkish invasion, but there are a lot of dangers.

Chris Slee