[Marxism] The tragedy of the Joker | Red Flag

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Oct 17 16:09:12 MDT 2019

On 10/17/19 5:56 PM, MM via Marxism wrote:
> Present day cinema, even more than when Adorno and Horkheimer were writing, is an obscene and exploitative industry. It trades in pat clichés and the regurgitation of tired narratives. The endless remakes of superhero films suggest that something is rotten in the state of California – a crisis of imagination reflective of the broader malaise of a capitalist system consuming itself in its own excesses. Every now and then, however, something brilliant, challenging and disturbing appears. Todd Phillip’s Joker is one of those films.
>
> https://redflag.org.au/node/6924

If I hadn't been ill with bronchitis for the past 2 weeks, I'd go see
this stupid movie. The film critics group I belong to will likely
consider it in December for an award and I have to be able to respond.
Somehow I doubt that the director of "Hangover" can be capable of such
an anti-capitalist masterpiece.