[Marxism] Russia-Turkey 10-point agreement disclosed (ANF)

Chris Slee chris_w_slee at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 23 04:04:07 MDT 2019

Trump contradicts himself from one day to the next.  Whether this is due to a psychiatric problem or just because he is sending different messages to different audiences, I am not sure.

Anyway, we have to look at his actions, not his words.  John says that Trump does what Putin wants.  Sometimes he does, but sometimes he doesn't.

I mentioned that Trump has intensified the US blockades on Cuba and Venezuela.  This does not seem to me to be something that Putin would want, given that Cuba and Venezuela are more or less allies of Russia.  But the blockades make perfect sense from the standpoint of US imperialism, which wants to suppress any challenge to its domination of Latin America.

Despite his rhetoric about bringing the troops home, Trump has increased the US military presence in the Middle East.  See the article by Medea Benjamin and Nicholas Davies:

https://www.counterpunch.org/2019/10/22/trumps-fake-withdrawal-from-endless-war

Trump saw it as being in the interests of US imperialism to mend US relations with Turkey, which had been damaged by the US alliance with the SDF against ISIS.  Hence he withdrew US troops from a section of the Syria/Turkey border, enabling Turkey to invade.

Of course Trump's idea of the best policy for US imperialism may differ from that of other members of the ruling class.  It may be influenced by Trump's personal financial interests.  But that is not unusual.

Chris Slee