[Marxism] YPG & Assad: beyond "necessity"

RKOB aktiv at rkob.net
Fri Oct 25 20:07:47 MDT 2019


Chris, I think you miss the point.

You say: "The SDF is seeking US and/or Russian help in opposing the 
Turkish invasion of northeastern Syria.  The so-called Syrian National 
Army is participating in the Turkish invasion.  These are completely 
different things."

Well, why is the SNA participating in the Turkish invasion? Because they 
(wrongly) hope to get back some land from which they and millions of 
Syrian refugees were expelled by Assad/Russia. Why is this a worse 
motive than that of the PYD/YPG?!

You say: "But I have pointed out that Turkey has used such aid to coopt 
some FSA groups into its war against the Rojava revolution."

Yes, but why is it better that the U.S. coopted the PYD/YPG for its war 
against ISIS and for control of East Syria? And why is this better that 
Russia and Assad coopt the PYD/YPG for its drive to control the same region?

You say: "The groups involved in the SNA have effectively abandoned the 
struggle against Assad. They have been taken away from the battle 
against Assad in Idlib to participate in Turkey's war against the 
Kurdish people and against the multi-ethnic democratic revolution in 
northeastern Syria."

As you might know, I agree with this criticism. But the PYD/YPG never 
joined the battle against Assad! This is hardly better!

And for the "multi-ethnic democratic revolution in northeastern Syria": 
This is nonsense. Where are the Arab units now on the side of the 
PYD/YPG? They are nowhere because there was no multi-ethnic democratic 
revolution in northeastern Syria but a struggle of the PYD/YPG not only 
to free the Kurdish people but also to dominate and occupy Arab-majority 
territories.


Am 26.10.2019 um 03:37 schrieb Chris Slee:
> The SDF is seeking US and/or Russian help in opposing the Turkish 
> invasion of northeastern Syria.  The so-called Syrian National Army is 
> participating in the Turkish invasion.  These are completely 
> different things.
>
> I have never criticised the FSA for accepting aid from Turkey to fight 
> Assad.  But I have pointed out that Turkey has used such aid to coopt 
> some FSA groups into its war against the Rojava revolution.
>
> The groups involved in the SNA have effectively abandoned the struggle 
> against Assad.  They have been taken away from the battle against 
> Assad in Idlib to participate in Turkey's war against the Kurdish 
> people and against the multi-ethnic democratic revolution in 
> northeastern Syria.
>
> Chris Slee
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> *From:* Marxism <marxism-bounces at lists.csbs.utah.edu> on behalf of 
> RKOB via Marxism <marxism at lists.csbs.utah.edu>
> *Sent:* Saturday, 26 October 2019 9:52 AM
> *To:* Chris Slee <chris_w_slee at hotmail.com>
> *Subject:* Re: [Marxism] YPG & Assad: beyond "necessity"
> ********************  POSTING RULES & NOTES  ********************
> #1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
> #2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
> #3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.
> *****************************************************************
>
> Comrades, I really can not see why all this is presented as such a
> complicated matter.
>
> I think that those comrades, who argue that the PYD/YPG had to build an
> alliance with Trump resp. Putin and Assad in order to avoid a bad
> outcome for the Kurdish people, don’t think the logic of their argument
> to the end.
>
> If this argument would be legitimate for the PYD/YPG, one should not
> criticize those Syrian FSA units who have joined the SNA under the de
> facto command of the Turkish army. They should also defend the
> TFSA/SNA’s decision to play the foot soldiers in the recent Turkish
> incursion.
>
> The Kurdish people are under threat by the Turkish army. But the Syrian
> people have been under much more threat by the Assadist/Russian
> aggression since 2011. Half of them have been made refugees. A quarter
> of them had to flee abroad. They are in a far worse situation than the
> Kurdish people in Syria. So if the PYD/YPG mercenary policy would
> justified in order to avoid the Kurdish people being suppressed or
> expelled, the TFSA/SNA would be (at least) equally justified to serve as
> mercenaries for the Turkish army. One could say so since their role is
> to get some land (with the help of the Turkish army) which is out of
> control of Assad/Russia and where the millions of Syrian refugees could
> get resettled. One could say so even more since the current Turkish/SNA
> incursion takes place mostly in areas with an Arab majority population
> (which were occupied by the PYD/YPG before).
>
> As comrades will be aware, I (and my comrades) have consistently argued
> since years that the policy of both – the PYD/YPG as well as the
> TFSA/SNA – is terrible wrong. But I think it is really strange that the
> supporters of the PYD/YPG apply such a double standard! This is not
> justified from an internationalist and socialist point of view. It is
> only understandable from a narrow (pro-Kurdish) nationalist point of view.
>
-- 
Revolutionär-Kommunistische Organisation BEFREIUNG
(Österreichische Sektion der RCIT, www.thecommunists.net)
www.rkob.net
aktiv at rkob.net
Tel./SMS/WhatsApp/Telegram: +43-650-4068314



-- 
Diese E-Mail wurde von Avast Antivirus-Software auf Viren geprüft.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus



More information about the Marxism mailing list