[Marxism] New Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual Alliance founded in London

MM marxmail00 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 26 17:54:25 MDT 2019

> On Oct 26, 2019, at 5:12 PM, John Edmundson via Marxism <marxism at lists.csbs.utah.edu> wrote:
>
> I have seen
> calls for "TERFs" to be raped and murdered (without a squeak from the
> leftist allies involved in the same discussion)….

> It seriously concerns me that calls for women to be raped and murdered
> should be able to go unchallenged by the Left.

Without knowing which discussion this was or which “leftist allies” were involved, there’s no way to judge the accuracy of the first statement. Calls for violence have no place in these discussions and have been frequently condemned — including on this list. Vague accusations of alleged failures by leftists to live up to leftist values has become a standard trope of the alt-right. It’s the main reason that red-herring-laden “invitations” to debate like this one are so tedious.

Meanwhile, I’ll just offer this as my final response on this thread:

“The current storm around trans people bears all the hallmarks of a moral panic. Trans people are blamed for a number of – often contradictory – harms. In 2017, these included corrupting children, changing the English language and threatening free speech, violence against women and seeking to both dismantle and reinforce problematic gender norms.

“The “news” often turns out to be several years old, or based on serious misinterpretation of what somebody said. Stories frequently include factual inaccuracies. For example, a story about the proportion of trans sex offenders was found to be based on false statistics, as were frequent reports about the number of people who “detransition”, or return to identifying with the gender they were assigned at birth.

“This current media onslaught bears a striking resemblance to previous moral panics, notably the one against gay men in the 1980s. Like trans people now, gay men then were branded as paedophiles. Any mention of homosexuality was deemed to risk “turning children gay” in the same way that there’s now concern that young people will be “turned trans” if they learn about gender diversity.”

http://theconversation.com/a-trans-review-of-2017-the-year-of-transgender-moral-panic-89272