[Marxism] Fwd: [Books] Senate Conducts Another U.S. Trial Where Racism Decides the Outcome

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Feb 1 09:44:13 MST 2020

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: [Books] Senate Conducts Another U.S. Trial Where Racism Decides
the Outcome
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2020 08:41:37 -0800 (GMT-08:00)
From: Max Elbaum <maxie at igc.org>
To: books at lists.people-link.net

Friends and Family,
I'm sharing the rant I dashed off after hearing the news of the Senate
vote yesterday afternoon. Thanks for reading, peace and always hope.
Max

Senate Conducts Another U.S. Trial Where Racism Decides the Outcome

It's no accident that on the same day the Senate voted not to hear any
witnesses in its sham impeachment trial the Trump administration
announced it was adding six countries, including Nigeria, Africa's most
populous nation, to its restrictive travel ban.

Get beneath the rhetoric and both actions are about race and racism. As
have been the outcome of so many trials and so many immigration policies
in U.S. history.

The bottom line consideration in those Republican senators' minds when
they voted today was revealed by a conservative former GOP policy
director who still has ties with his old friends. Evan Mullin tweeted
the day before the vote:
"Republican leaders in Congress believe - and privately say - that they
fear the country is quickly changing in ways that may soon deprive them
of power, and that they must use the power they have now to delay it as
long as possible, even by harming the Republic if necessary."

Decoding that doesn't require re-reading the pages in "To Kill a
Mockingbird" about that story's jury verdict:
"The country is quickly changing" means "the proportion of people of
color is growing and white people soon might not be a majority."

"They must use the power they have now" means "democracy is a nice idea
that we've said we believe in for decades, but when it comes right down
to it maintaining white power in general and our white power in
particular is more important."

Full text: https://www.facebook.com/max.elbaum/posts/10159955151564848

-
Max Elbaum