[Marxism] Bernie's last dance with the Dems

Chris Slee chris_w_slee at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 3 03:49:54 MST 2020

Referring to the US economic blockade of Venezuela, John Reimann says: "of course I oppose it".  But he does not seem to give the task of opposing the blockade a high priority.  Denouncing Maduro seems more important.

It is essential to educate the US working class about the crimes of US imperialism around the world.  Waging economic war against Venezuela one of those crimes.

I disagree with John's assertion that "the economic collapse started well before the US blockade".

It is true that there have been serious economic problems in Venezuela for a number of years, partly due to the government's mistakes.  But these problems became much more severe as the US economic warfare against Venezuela intensified.

The inability to obtain spare parts for equipment used in a wide range of industries including oil, road transport and fishing would have created severe problems for any government, no matter how competent.

Cuba had the Soviet Union to help it survive the US economic blockade during its first 3 decades.  Putin's Russia is not an adequate substitute.

Opposing the economic warfare of the US against the Cuban and Venezuelan revolutions is a crucial task for the US left.

Has Bernie Sanders said anything about the blockade of Venezuela?  Or the blockade of Cuba?

Chris Slee