[Marxism] The Party's Over: Bernie?s Last Dance With the Dems

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Feb 3 10:03:03 MST 2020

On 2/3/20 11:20 AM, srobin21 wrote:
> In any event, for all their ultra leftism, electorally the SDSers were
> abject supporters of mainstream  liberalism. Hayden et al "went part of
> the way with LBJ" in 1964 and supported RFK in 1968. Somehow support for
> Sanders does not compare unfavorably to that.
>
> SR

This is the SDS that had a lot in common with the DSA, especially
through its connections to the League for Industrial Democracy. By 1967,
that SDS no longer existed. Between 1967 and 1970, it was the SDS I was
referring to. It led campus protests that shook the USA to its
foundations. When those protests did not end the war, they resorted to
urban guerrilla warfare but only a small fraction of SDS took part in
that. Most SDSers became absorbed into American society and probably
evolved into the liberals of the 1964 SDS variety.  Bill Ayers is the
most well-known of them.