[Marxism] [pen-l] Marx, Lincoln and Project 1619 | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

jgreen at communistvoice.org jgreen at communistvoice.org
Sat Feb 15 13:29:04 MST 2020

On 14 Feb 2020 at 14:24, Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist wrote:
>It did not seem to matter to Sorge or Marx that Woodhull´s running-mate was none other
than Frederick Douglass. His willingness to join her had a lot to do with the respect that
her section in N.Y. had earned.

Sorge and Marx aside, there are some serious issues concerning Woodhull's party.
According to Wikipedia,
"In 1872, Douglass became the first African American nominated for Vice President of the
United States, as Victoria Woodhull's running mate on the Equal Rights Party ticket. He
was nominated without his knowledge. Douglass neither campaigned for the ticket nor
acknowledged that he had been nominated." It also says that, however, "he would serve as
a presidential elector in the United States Electoral College for the State of New York".
I suspect Wikipedia is right about this, because if Frederick Douglass had campaigned
against the Republican Party in 1872, there would probably be a number of notable
speeches by him on this subject, including answers to the objections of a number of other
African American leaders of the time. And there's a serious issue about whether it shows
respect for a movement to claim one of the most prominent activists of that movement as
one of one's leaders without that activist's permission. And it's not as if he had been
unavailable for consultation.
Meanwhile the party may have had as many names, if not more, than years of active
existence. I don't think it ever ran another presidential ticket. And Wikipedia claims it was
called such things as the Equal Rights Party, the People's Party (but it was *not* the
famous later People's Party), the Cosmo-Political Party, and the National Radical
Reformers. But maybe someone can fill us in as to what happened during its 1872
campaign.