[Marxism] Can Bernie Sanders Make the Democratic Party a Democratic Party? | The Indypendent

Patrick Bond pbond at mail.ngo.za
Wed Feb 26 04:29:38 MST 2020

On 2/26/2020 1:03 PM, Mark Lause via Marxism wrote:
> The former suggests something for which nobody . . . NOBODY . . . has ever
> been able to identify a means and a strategy.

I have a recollection from when I worked at the Institute for Policy
Studies in 1988, that Robert Borosage did have such a strategy, and for
awhile (about this time into the 1988 primaries) there was a sense it
could be accomplished by Jesse Jackson. As is the case now, the central
question posed - e.g. by another Jackson advisor, Vicente Navarro - was
whether single-payer health insurance was the sort of issue that would
break the oligarchs' and neoliberals' hold.

I'm sure in places like /Monthly Review /you could find this argument
from 1988.

Cheers,

Patrick