[Marxism] Vivek Chibber for Sanders

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Feb 29 08:18:59 MST 2020

On 2/29/20 9:58 AM, Raju J Das via Marxism wrote:

>      'The emergence of Bernie Sanders as the frontrunner in the Democratic Party primaries has stunned the world. But it shouldn’t have. The U.S. is merely joining in the wave of electoral insurrections that are upending the political order across the world.'
>

>      '[The] American Parties have very little control over who can and cannot run on their tickets. Anyone is free to enter a primary, and if they can attract enough votes, it is very hard to stop them. And the Party leadership’s helplessness is becoming palpable. The last weapon they had was their fear mongering, and now that too has become ineffective.'
>

> https://www.thehindu.com/opinion/lead/scripting-an-audacity-of-hope-the-sanders-way/article30945432.ece?homepage=true
>

> It is stunning how people who claim to be Marxists have unalloyed and uncritical support for bourgeois politics of workers...We live in interesting times.
>

>      Raju J Das
> York University, Toronto

Funny thing about Chibber. After he wrote "Postcolonial Theory and the
Specter of Capital", he gained the reputation as a rock-ribbed,
uncompromising, class-based, dragon-slaying Marxist.

Since then, the bloom has faded from the rose. Fellow Brennerite Charles
Post polemicized against the political drift that would culminate in his
becoming a Sandernista while Brenner himself disowned his disciple in a
nasty Catalyst fight.

He probably always had these shitty politics but it has taken time for
him to be bolder about it. His all-out assault on the Russian Revolution
in a special Jacobin issue was the first manifestation. I dealt with it
here: https://louisproyect.org/2018/02/26/vivek-chibbers-apolitical-marxism/