[Marxism] Syria's Unfinished Revolution

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Jan 2 21:37:31 MST 2020

On 1/2/20 9:53 PM, Chris Slee wrote:
> I don't know about March 2011.  But certainly the PYD was suspicious of
> some of the rebels from fairly soon after the start of the revolution.
>
> But it was not only the PYD that became suspicious.  Joseph Daher says:
> "A number of Kurdish activists and committees initially welcomed the
> establishment of the FSA.  However, they grew increasingly at odds with
> it following the foreign aid and sponsorship that some FSA groups
> received from foreign powers, Turkey in particular, and their
> inreasingly religious extremist practices and hostile attitudes towards
> Kurdish political demands and symbols" (Syria After the Uprisings, p. 153).
>
> Chris Slee

So, religious extremist practices (Sharia law?) prevented them from
alignment with the FSA and the civilian opposition movement? Meanwhile,
when the Baathist dictatorship declared that Kurds WERE NO LONGER
CITIZENS OF SYRIA, this did not prevent them from cutting a deal with Assad.

Give me a fucking break.