[Marxism] Cold War Propagandist: Nicolas Nabokov, JFK, and the Shostakovich Wars - Los Angeles Review of Books

Andrew Pollack acpollack2 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 5 09:04:24 MST 2020

A personal footnote for what it's worth.
During the US war against Vietnam I was in my high school's band. One day
we went on a field trip to hear a local orchestra. The conductor was with
the US military, and he appeared in full dress uniform.
On the  playlist was a piece by Shostakovitch, and the conductor introduced
it by saying that it was an important work even if the Soviet Union was a
horrendous dictatorship.
At that age I had only the most vague politics, but I remember thinking to
myself, "who the fuck are you to criticize anyone?"