[Marxism] Cinematters: NY Social Justice Film Festival | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Jan 14 17:01:59 MST 2020

Last November, I discovered a new source of progressive documentaries in
New York as a result of covering the Other Israel Film Festival at the
Marlene Meyerson JCC. Now, only two months later, the JCC is presenting
another important film festival called the Cinematters: NY Social
Justice Film Festival. Opening this Thursday and running through Monday,
January 20th, it features nine documentaries with one narrative film on
the closing night, the newly released “Harriet,” a biopic about Harriet
Tubman. After having seen five of the documentaries, I recommend the
entire film festival to New Yorkers since it is an antidote to the
mind-numbing crap featured in your local cineplex. Given the political
stakes we face in a decaying capitalist society, these are the sorts of
films that help orient you to the real struggles taking place in the USA.

full:
https://louisproyect.org/2020/01/15/cinematters-ny-social-justice-film-festival/