[Marxism] The 1619 Project and the Work of the Historian « The Junto

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Jan 23 17:14:23 MST 2020

Yesterday Princeton historian Sean Wilentz published his latest piece
opposing the 1619 Project at The Atlantic. In it, Wilentz argues that
he—along with the other historians who signed a letter to the editors of
the New York Times Magazine questioning the Project’s conclusions—are
taking issue as a “matter of facts” that were presented in the 1619
Project, in particular in the essay authored by Nikole Hannah-Jones, the
lead editor for the magazine’s issue, and in the letter of response from
the Magazine’s editor, Jack Silverstein.

I’d initially planned not to comment publicly on the 1619 Project, but
Wilentz’s essay is flawed in the precise area of my
expertise—Revolutionary-era newspapers—in ways that diminish the
credence of his claims. Critiques of the 1619 Project have tended to
obscure the practice of historical research and writing, but there is
nonetheless an opportunity to illuminate how we locate, contextualize,
and interrogate sources. In making that clear, we can understand better
the debate about interpretations of the American Revolution.

https://earlyamericanists.com/2020/01/23/the-1619-project-and-the-work-of-the-historian/