[Marxism] » An Open Letter to the Green Party About 2020 Election Strategy

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Jan 24 07:20:33 MST 2020

On 1/24/20 8:55 AM, Michael Meeropol wrote:
> Sorry, Louis --- I agree 100% with the argument in this letter. Working
> for the Green Party Is taking the gamble that Trump is SO LITTLE "worse"
> than the Democratic opponent (and let's grant the worst case scenario
> that BIDEN --- or -- gasp (!!) BLOOMBERG --- is the Democratic nominee)
> would not make the difference in terms of long term destruction of the
> planet via global warming --- Let's assume that there is a 1% chance
> that Trump vs. generic Dem will make the difference between the survival
> of the planet and some (better than nothiing) amelioration --

Karl Marx and Frederick Engels, Address of the Central Committee to the
Communist League, London, March 1850

Even where there is no prospect of achieving their election the workers
must put up their own candidates to preserve their independence, to
gauge their own strength and to bring their revolutionary position and
party standpoint to public attention. They must not be led astray by the
empty phrases of the democrats, who will maintain that the workers’
candidates will split the democratic party and offer the forces of
reaction the chance of victory. All such talk means, in the final
analysis, that the proletariat is to be swindled. The progress which the
proletarian party will make by operating independently in this way is
infinitely more important than the disadvantages resulting from the
presence of a few reactionaries in the representative body. If the
forces of democracy take decisive, terroristic action against the
reaction from the very beginning, the reactionary influence in the
election will already have been destroyed.

https://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1847/communist-league/1850-ad1.htm