[Marxism] Venezuela, January 2020: Hardship and Resistance (Counterpunch)

Chris Slee chris_w_slee at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 29 17:42:05 MST 2020

https://www.counterpunch.org/2020/01/29/venezuela-january-2020-hardship-and-resistance/

"The economic war is certainly effective in making life more difficult for ordinary Venezuelans. But instead of dejection and despair, we observed a surge of grass roots organizing: communes, farmers’ markets, collective farms, city-country direct exchanges, community building in many forms. The activists we met this January share a cautious optimism, a sense that the Bolivarian process that Chávez initiated might survive this economic war. Meanwhile, a new kind of society, one based on communal values of cooperation, social solidarity, and mutual support, is emerging."