[Marxism] I Will Hold You in My Arms a Day After the War: The Fifth Newsletter (2020).

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Jan 30 08:06:35 MST 2020

On Monday, 27 January, the South African photographer Santu Mofokeng
slipped away. His camera had been a familiar presence in the
anti-apartheid struggle; after years of photographing police violence
and popular resistance, he tired of making ‘images bespeaking gloom,
monotony, anguish, struggle, [and] oppression’, he wrote in 1993. It was
then that Santu turned his camera on the life of the black working
class. ‘Perhaps I was looking for something that refuses to be
photographed,’ he said. ‘I was only chasing shadows, perhaps’. Those who
search for the future chase shadows.

https://mailchi.mp/thetricontinental.org/i-will-hold-you-in-my-arms-a-day-after-the-war-the-fifth-newsletter-2020?e=77bd6c9887