MPA Job listtrying again

Sandi Parkes sandi.parkes at csbs.utah.edu
Mon Apr 14 12:05:36 MDT 2003

Thank you for notifying Cancer LIFE about intership opportunities for
University of Utah Master of Public Administration students (Fall
2003).  I have had numerous occasions to work with—and rely on!—UU
students in the past, and hope to have interns affiliated with  this
newly established 501-c-3 organization.

The mission of is to Cancer LIFE is to enhance quality of life
throughout the cancer experience by linking individuals and families to
experts—professionals, peers and resources.  Our free services are
uniquely designed to:

? Assess needs and interests of adults and children affected by cancer
and direct them to experts—peers and professionals—who provide resources
that enhance quality of life and support behaviors that increase a sense
of well-being and control.

? Facilitate awareness of community programs, resources and services
that address specific needs and interests of individuals and families
throughout their cancer experience.

? Identify and present age-appropriate resources to children who have a
family member living with cancer.

? Partner with healthcare professionals to provide continuity of care
for individuals and families throughout their cancer experience.

? Design and implement free programs that respond to unmet needs.

? Address Utah Cancer Action Network (Utah State Department of Health,
Cancer Control Program) objectives.

The success of this vitally important service is dependent on
volunteers.  It is our hope that University of Utah interns will elect
to participate in some aspect of our dynamic program.  Identified
opportunities include, but are not limited to:

? Assist with administration/operations (systems, data management,
strategic planning, Board development, needs assessment, project
evaluation)

? Establish community education strategy and curriculum

? Indentify and recruit related community resources for collaboration

? Plan and implement special event (i.e., Climb for Life/rock climbing
event to increase awareness of and research funds for women’s
reproductive cancers)

? Promote Cancer LIFE services and events (website; print and electronic
media)

University of Utah interns will serve as a vital resource in
strenghtening the link between individuals and families affected by
cancer to experts.  Involvement will directly reflect their respective
interests, experience and time commitment, in concert with the mission
and goals of Cancer LIFE.  It is, of course, critical that applicants
work effectively as member of a team.

I look forward to discussing the elements of Cancer LIFE with you and
anticipate the involvement of University of Utah interns in this vital
community resource!

Live life to the fullest!