MPA Job list- BUDGET ANALYST
juli.genovesi at csbs.utah.edu
Thu May 22 17:09:51 MDT 2003
Jon Peacock, Assistant County Administrator of Mesa County Colorado sent
this to Rick Green to post, as he is a former student of Ricks and would
like to see recent MPA grads apply.
JOB TITLE: BUDGET ANALYST
DEPARTMENT: FINANCIAL SERVICES
REPORTS TO: FINANCIAL SERVICES DIVISION DIRECTOR
FLSA STATUS: E
HIRING RANGE: $3603 to $4144/month
Performs professional, administrative, and technical work to ensure the
best allocation of resources to ensure efficient and effective County
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
* Develops process and procedures for balancing budget
* Coordinates the alignment of budget with the countywide strategic
* Reviews and evaluates county programs for effectiveness and
* Performs professional, administrative and technical work toward the
preparation of the Mesa County annual budget in accordance with
Colorados Local Government Budget Law
* Serves as a team member in the development of County financial
* Develops long-term financial planning revenue and expenditure
* Develops and monitors performance measures
* Assists with policy development and implementation set by BOCC
* Prepares budget and program overviews for the BOCC
* Serves as a resource person to County departments and the general
public regarding the budget and program oversight
* Responds in a timely and accurate manner to inquires and provides
technical training; researches issues; ensures close communication
and coordination with data processing staff regarding the
development of the budget and reporting requirements and
development of training materials and programs
* Conducts performance audits, identifies trends, and recommends
* Coordinates communication of budget issues to departments and
* Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
* Bachelor's degree from a four-year college or university in
accounting, finance, business administration, or a related field;
prefer MPA, MBA, or Masters in Finance and one year required
* Four years of progressively responsible related professional
* Any combination of education, training and experience which
provides the knowledge, skills and abilities required for the job.
Licenses and Certifications:
* Attainment of CPE credits is desirable.
* Understand Government Finances and Operations including budget
process, policy formation and fund accounting
* Demonstrates a political awareness
* Proficiency with financial analysis tools
* Understanding of statistics, inflation, time value of money,
present value, fixed and variable costs, etc
* Proficiency with analysis tools and techniques including comparing
alternatives, decision tables, fiscal impact, cost/benefit
analysis, cost-effectiveness analysis, budget variance,
performance measurement, program evaluation analysis, management
analysis work methods and organization
* Generally accepted accounting principles
* County government budgetary process, including preparation and
* Colorado Revised Statutes and other applicable laws, rules, and
regulations pertinent to budgetary law.
* Computerized systems, including relevant hardware and software
* Principles of effective adult training and learning
* Principles of effective public speaking and communications
* Preparation of effective written training and/or technical
* Using tact, discretion, initiative and independent judgment within
* Researching, compiling, and summarizing a variety of informational
and statistical data and materials.
* Skills in negotiation, interviewing, conflict resolution and oral
* Organizing work, setting priorities, meeting critical deadlines,
and following up assignments with a minimum of direction.
* Conducting educational and informative training programs
* Applying logical thinking to solve budgetary problems or accomplish
* Understanding, interpreting, and communicating budgetary policies,
procedures, and protocols
* Communicating clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing
* Preparing clear and concise reports, correspondence, and other
Mental and Physical Abilities:
* Prepare comprehensive budget documents in a timely manner.
* Prepare clear and concise administrative and financial reports.
* Analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, .project
consequences of proposed actions, and implement recommendations in
support of goals.
* Properly interpret and apply relevant federal, state, and local
policies, procedures, laws, and regulations. Communicate clearly
and concisely, both orally and in writing.
* Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those
contacted in course of work, including BOCC, department heads and
other departmental contacts, and the general public.
* While performing the essential functions of this job, the employee
is required to sit the vast majority of the time. The employee is
occasionally required to stand, walk, and bend in order to
* The employee is occasionally required to ascend or descend stairs
using feet and legs.
* The employee is regularly required to reach with hands and arms and
lift and/or move objects weighing up to 10 pounds.
* The employee is required to use close vision and ability to adjust
focus to accomplish job responsibilities.
* The employee must handle, hold, grasp, turn, or otherwise work with
hands as well as finger, pick, or otherwise work primarily with
How to Apply: Obtain and submit a Mesa County Employment Application to:
Mesa County Personnel, P.O. Box 20,000-5021, Grand Junction, CO
81502-5021 or 544 Rood Ave., Floor 3A, Grand Junction by Friday, 6/13/03
at 5:00 PM. www.co.mesa.co.us
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Mpajobs