MPA and MPP Job list***Education Policy Analyst Position - Part time - The American Academy

Angie Stefaniak angela.stefaniak at cppa.utah.edu
Fri Mar 20 13:49:09 MDT 2009

Job Posting from The American Academy:

Contact: job-epa at taaschools.net
The American Academy is looking for a part-time Education Policy Analyst
to join our team. The chosen candidate will be responsible for
researching and understanding Local, State and Federal education
policies and how these policies align with our school's offerings. Our
ideal candidate has strong education policy expertise, with an interest
in online education and social entrepreneurship.
This is a part-time position, estimated at 20-25 hours per week
beginning immediately and continuing until at least August 15th. The
position may be extended with flexible work hours to accommodate a
student's fall semester schedule. Compensation is $10-14/hr, depending
on experience. Our office is located in downtown Salt Lake City on the
TRAX line.
Key Responsibilities:
1. Research and analyze issues related to local, state and federal
education policies in support of the products offered by The American
Academy
2. Prepare policy, advocacy and regulatory documents (e.g. reports,
position papers, presentations) that are consistent with the school's
policy positions
3. Monitor and report on federal, state and local legislative,
regulatory and policy initiatives related to public education
4. Support direct and grassroots advocacy initiatives
Desired Experience and Requirements:
. Currently in upper division courses, pursuing a BA or BS in Public
Policy, Education or similar program
. Proven experience in research and analysis of public policy issues
which support legislative and/or regulatory initiatives
. Strong written and verbal communication skills
. Excellent organizational skills, ability to prioritize, multi-task,
work independently and collaboratively
About Our Company:
The American Academy (TAA) is an online private high school that
operates through its own NAAS accreditation and through a public-private
partnership with the Utah Electronic High School (UEHS), one of the
nation's first public online high schools. UEHS has served more than
80,000 students since 1994. The American Academy serves high school age
and adult students worldwide who want to supplement their high school
education or earn a high school diploma.
Through its unique School-as-a-Service^(TM) platform, The American
Academy gives:
. Students an opportunity to choose from more than 230 online courses,
supported by state-licensed teachers and access to tutoring 24/7.
. High Schools an innovative program for dropout recovery and
prevention, as well as offering additional courses for credit recovery
or curriculum expansion.
. Teachers the ability to teach, develop content, tutor and perform
community outreach to promote online learning.
About Our Work Environment:
Our culture and environment encourage people who want to make
significant contributions, work on challenging assignments, and prefer
an open-minded approach to work. As a startup we seek people who are not
afraid to take on varied assignments and to help out wherever needed.
Someone looking for a structured corporate environment with weeks of
training before starting the job need not apply -- at TAA we jump in,
learn and get things done.
We have an exciting, open work environment that encourages team members
to brainstorm, share ideas, try new things and learn from past
experiences. We look for team members who can challenge the status quo,
understand the bigger picture and make good decisions. We strive to help
our employees achieve personal goals while contributing to the overall
team effort.
Questions to Ask Yourself Before Applying:
. How do you feel when you read the following statement: "...dropping
out of high school is no longer an option. It's not just quitting on
yourself; it's quitting on your country. And this country needs and
values the talents of every American."
. What place does online education have in the public school system?
. Are charter schools helping or hurting improvements to public education?
. Why do I want to work for The American Academy?
Contact: job-epa at taaschools.net
The American Academy ----- www.TheAmericanAcademy.com

<http://www.cppa.utah.edu/about_perspectives.html>