MPA and MPP Job listFW: Policy Coordinator Position - Puerto Rico

Angela Stefaniak angela.stefaniak at cppa.utah.edu
Thu Feb 18 14:26:31 MST 2010

Job Posting: Policy Coordinator
The Conservation Trust of Puerto Rico (CTPR)
The Conservation Trust of Puerto Rico is a private, nonprofit organization whose mission is to secure functional and healthy ecosystems in the islands of Puerto Rico, and to instill in their inhabitants a sense of responsibility toward the conservation of our natural resources, so that we may count on the ecosystem services that will help us achieve our social, economic and quality-of-life goals. The Conservation Trust of Puerto Rico believes that we can achieve our full potential, both individually and collectively, if we can sustain the ecosystem services of the islands of Puerto Rico and respect all forms of life with which we share our natural environment. The Trust carries out this mission by acquiring natural areas and constituting conservation easements, among other mechanisms. As part of its mission, the Trust develops educational programs that focus on generating public awareness and actions that meet the needs of protecting and conserving the island's natural areas. In addition, it directs a program of tree nurseries dedicated to the propagation, distribution and planting of endemic and native trees in Puerto Rico. The people of Puerto Rico are the only beneficiaries of the Puerto Rico Conservation Trust.
Essential Duties
1.       Identify and analyze plans and Public Policy programs or projects (Puerto Rico, United States of America and International) that are related or affect the mission of the Conservation Trust of PR by using internet, visits and calls.
2.       Maintain contact and give follow up to Congress members and Federal Agencies about the different issues that affect the goals and objectives of the Conservation Trust of PR.
3.       Write progress reports with recommendations about Public Policy.
4.       Establish and maintain relations with key officials in order to promote the objectives of CTPR. Coordinate the visits of these officials to our natural protected areas.
Requirements - Skills

 1.  Bilingual (English, Spanish)
 2.  Knowledge of computer programs (Ms Office, Internet)
 3.  Knowledge of legislation process and able to provide recommendations
 4.   Excellent public speaking skills
 5.  Excellent communication and writing skills (English and Spanish)
 6.  Excellent interpersonal relations and teamwork
 7.  Confidentiality in data and information management
 8.  Excellent  negotiation skills
 9.  Research skills
 10. Availability to travel to the USA or Internationally
 11. Analytic and critical skills
Education & Experience

 1.  BA in Economy, Geography, Public Politics or Liberal Arts
 2.  5 years of experience in the development of Public Policy or Master Degree in a related area

Our organization offers excellent benefits such as: health insurance with pharmacy and dental coverage, life insurance and retirement plan, among others.  If you meet the requirements mentioned above and would like to be a part of our organization, please send us your resume to resume at fideicomiso.org<mailto:resume at fideicomiso.org>.
Conservation Trust of Puerto Rico is an Equal Opportunity Employer