MPA and MPP Job list HEAL Utah - Policy Associate Opening

Melissa Hall melissa.hall at mpa.utah.edu
Mon Nov 3 13:49:17 MST 2014

Description
Salary: $30,000
Job Description: About HEAL Utah:
We are a grassroots advocacy organization that works to promote clean energy and to protect Utah from toxic, nuclear and dirty energy threats.

HEAL Utah is focused not only on educating citizens about problems, but building their civic skills to address these problems and prevent future ones from occurring. We believe that we must not just clean up our physical environment, but our civic one: By teaching the basic skills of participating in the democratic process, HEAL Utah is working to ensure that citizens shape the decisions that impact our health and environment.

HEAL Utah is working to clean up the Wasatch Front's polluted airshed; to limit the quantity and hazard of nuclear waste disposed of at EnergySolutions' nuclear waste disposal site; to prevent the construction of a nuclear power plant in scenic southern Utah; to prevent the resumption of nuclear weapons testing; and to encourage a transition away from the dirty coal power which is warming our planet and harming our families towards clean, renewable energy and energy efficiency;

We are looking for a talented, experienced, committed, self-motivated individual who shares a passion for protecting public health and the environment to join us in this effort.

Areas of Responsibility:

The Policy Associate will be a junior level policy position which assists both the Policy Director and Executive Director in carrying out HEAL's campaigns. We envision, over time, the Policy Associate taking the lead on our nuclear waste and Green River nuclear reactor campaigns, while also working secondarily on our clean air, renewables and coal work.

State Legislature
* Work with Executive Director and Policy Director to develop legislative agenda.
* Work with stakeholders, the HEAL staff and legislators to develop policy recommendations that move Utah towards fulfilling our mission in the areas of nuclear waste, nuclear power, clean air, and renewable energy/coal power/energy efficiency.
* Along with the Policy Director, develop relationships with and lobby members of the Utah Legislature on HEAL's issues.
* Prepare testimony, attend, and recruit others to attend public hearings.
* Via emails, social networking, and communications with allies, educate and engage Utah citizens in state legislative policy.

Regulatory/Corporate
* The Policy Associate will occasionally lobby key state boards and agencies - primarily the Utah Radiation Control Board, and the Utah Division of Radiation Control -- to advocate for the protection of Utah's health and environment. Responsibilities include attending hearings, developing testimony and presentations, submitting public comments, and having one-on-one meetings.
* Along with the Policy Director, monitor and highlight important developments at State agencies related to HEAL's issues.
* Track the activities of our principal corporate and government targets: primarily EnergySolutions, but also sometimes including Rocky Mountain Power, the Governor's Office of Energy Development, and more. Keep abreast of new developments, policy changes, etc.
* Work with Executive Director and Policy Director to manage evolving regulatory priorities.

Federal/Congress
* Lobby members of the Utah Congressional Delegation on HEAL's issues, particularly nuclear waste disposal.
* Monitor and highlight important developments at federal agencies related to HEAL's issues, particularly nuclear waste disposal.
* Draft comments and other materials to advocate for changes in federal nuclear waste policies.

Community Outreach
* Work with coalition partners and allies to develop cohesive campaign strategies on HEAL issues, particularly nuclear waste and the proposed Green River nuclear reactors.
* Help identify and train citizen lobbyists to advocate for HEAL Utah's priority initiatives at the Utah State Capitol and in regulatory bodies.
* Help cultivate concerned citizens into active and engaged advocates who support HEAL Utah's efforts by attending press conferences, regulatory meetings, and legislative hearings.

Media
* Help with press relations and social media communications on HEAL campaigns.
* Draft op-eds for local papers on HEAL issues.

Fundraising
* Attend and play a supporting role at HEAL Utah's major fundraising events.
* As appropriate, draft email appeals or other campaign-specific fundraising materials.

Research
* Conduct research and compellingly convey findings in primary campaign areas. Campaign research will range broadly, including but not limited to: the costs of new nuclear power, deep-time assessments of long-lived nuclear waste, and innovative policy models Utah can embrace in all our campaign areas.
* Research laws and regulations pertaining to HEAL campaign issues at the local, State, and Federal levels.

Communications
* Draft emails to supporters within primary campaign issues, from updates to action alerts.
* Use social networking to update supporters and press in real-time on developments in hearings, board meetings, etc.
* Draft text for fact sheets, letters to the editor, and additional campaign materials.

Qualifications:
Applicants must be passionate about HEAL Utah's issues and in advocating for policies to protect public health and the environment. Excellent verbal and written communication skills, ability to quickly learn and synthesize complex information, and commitment to impeccable research are a must. College degree required; At least 2 years policy, grassroots or campaign experience desired, but internship and volunteer work may count. Interested individuals should be self-motivated, comfortable working independently, and excited to take initiative.

Compensation:
The Policy Associate position will pay $30,000 per year.
HEAL offers an excellent benefit package: including four weeks of paid time off (a mix of holidays, sick/personal leave and vacation), health and dental coverage and an up-to-3-percent match of simple IRA retirement contributions.
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Information
How to Apply: Please send resume, cover letter, and one writing sample by November 24 to jobs at healutah.org. Questions can be directed to Rob or Matt at HEAL at 801-355-5055.
Closing Date: 11/24/2014