MPA and MPP Job list Help us spread the word!

Erin Moore erin.moore at mpa.utah.edu
Mon Oct 24 15:46:02 MDT 2016

Hello MPA Students and Alumni!

In a recent survey, we found that over 40% of current students heard about the MPA program from alumni, family or friends. Additionally, over 90% of current students said they would refer the MPA program to someone they know. We are thrilled that so many of our students think highly of the program and want to share their positive experience with others!

It is vital that the MPA program continues to attract high-caliber students with a passion for public service. Since you are already one of those students, (or were one in the past,) we're hoping to enlist your help.

Is there someone in your family that loves community service and has thought of working in the nonprofit world? Do you have friends who are interested in policy and politics but don't know how to turn their passion into a career? Are your co-workers seeking promotions but need to build managerial skills? Let them know about the MPA program!

Below we've provided a quick overview of the MPA program. This can easily be forwarded to someone you know that might be interested in pursuing an MPA degree.

We thank you in advance for your support and welcome any questions.

Sincerely,

The MPA Program Administrators

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D13364.291456C0]

What is an MPA?
An MPA is a Master of Public Administration. The interdisciplinary degree builds professional knowledge and operating competence for the experienced public administrator or the student seeking a career as a manager in public or nonprofit agencies. It enhances general public management skills and helps the student develop special depth in a particular administrative area, policy field, or level of government. The MPA is conferred by the Department of Political Science and administered by the Center for Public Policy and Administration.

Evening and Executive Programs
The Evening MPA Program is designed for the working adult. Students are able to select and set their own schedule from courses offered during the evening generally from 6-9 p.m. Students are also able to select their own elective courses (five total) for their concentration, including courses outside of the MPA Department. On average, the Evening Program takes seven-nine semesters to complete.  Students in both programs take the same core courses: Administrative Theory, Nonprofit/NGO Organizations, Human Resource Management, Governance and the Economy, Budget and Finance, Research Design, Law, Ethics and Capstone.

The Executive MPA Program is designed for students with at least five years of middle to upper level administrative experience in public or nonprofit organizations. Students enter the program as a cohort in August and complete their courses approximately two years later. Students focus on one course at a time using week-long and every other weekend (Friday 5:30-8:30 p.m. and Saturday 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m.) formats. The area of concentration is designed specifically for Executive MPA students: Advanced Public Management.

What type of careers do our MPA alumni have?
*         City Manager and Economic Development Director
           Elected Public Official
*         Corrections and Police Officer
*         K-12 School District Researchers
*         Private and Public Human Resource Manager
*         Governmental Affairs Liaison
*         Public Defender and Prosecutor
*         Public Information Officer
*         Hospital and Public Health Administrator
*         Nonprofit Executive Director
*         Nonprofit Development and Program Director
*         Higher Education Administrator
*         Fire and Police Chief

What areas can I study in the MPA program?
*         Criminal Justice
*         Education (K-12 or Higher Education)
*         Health Administration
*         Local Government Administration
*         Natural Resource Administration
*         Nonprofit Organizations
*         Policy Analysis
*         Public Human Resource Management
*         Open-Ended: You may also develop an area not named above by combining courses from several areas or by forming a different area from various relevant courses taught at the University

Do you offer joint degrees?
Yes! You can work on joint degree programs in Juris Doctor, Master of Social Work, Master of Public Health, Master of Health Administration, Ph.D. in Social Work, or Ph.D. in Educational Leadership & Policy

Visit our website for more information about the program, admissions, and testimonials from MPA alumni!
mpa.utah.edu<https://www.umail.utah.edu/owa/redir.aspx?REF=EM_Hhizw-YdwwOd5Eo3CpdS7nSksJAYCV5dkYNz2SkVX3VrnU_zTCAFodHRwOi8vbXBhLnV0YWguZWR1Lw..>

If you have questions concerning the program, please contact one of the MPA program staff:

 Erin Moore, Program Manager
             erin.moore at mpa.utah.edu<https://www.umail.utah.edu/owa/redir.aspx?REF=SbscVjwzniZ2gdecDHaXN4dwWJ27-pGES_nbs-ASzlR9A1vnU_zTCAFtYWlsdG86ZXJpbi5tb29yZUBtcGEudXRhaC5lZHU_c3ViamVjdD0.>
             801-585-7985
Clint Curry, Program Assistant