MPA and MPP Job list MPA Fall 2017 Newsletter

Master of Public Administration madison.mahon at utah.edu
Thu Nov 16 16:29:21 MST 2017

Fall 2017 Newsletter
Email not displaying correctly? View this email in your browser (http://mailchi.mp/3cbf9548df47/mpa-fall-2017-newsletter?e=f655df5476)
PAGE: Public Affairs and Global Enterprise Student Association

The Public Affairs and Global Enterprise Student Association (PAGE) has replaced MPPASA as the student-based, university-recognized organization for MPA, MPP, and MIAGE students. PAGE is focused on promoting academic and career success for members, programming academic and social activities, and engaging our community through service. We would like to extend a congratulations to the 2017-2018 Executive Committee for hosting two events this year, the first partnering with the David N. Sundwall Lectureship in Public Health to discuss global leadership in public health policy in Utah , and the second hosting an upcoming roundtable discussion with U.S. Air Force Major General David Harris. We're looking forward to seeing the other engaging events PAGE will host over the course of the spring semester!

Upcoming Faculty Spotlight

Meet Lessina Cline, a new faculty member teaching a MPA elective special topics course this upcoming spring. She is currently teaching Health Care in the U.S. in the Health Education department, but is looking forward to teaching Social Justice Diversity and Health in the Spring 2018 semester. The MPA program asked her a few questions about her background:

What led you to an interest in higher education, and specifically social justice and healthcare?

I sat in a class with four other girls and 75 boys – that was my physics class. Girls were not encouraged to go to school beyond high school. In high school, girls were also nurtured and prepared for a marriage shortly after graduation (for those who were not already married). Sailing through high school into an advanced level program equivalent to two-year junior college was exhilarating for my friends and I. This was the beginning of the fulfillment of our dreams. We witnessed the plight of women and their lowly status during festivities and celebrations. Life as a second-class citizen was very normal until one comes away from the confines of a binding and authoritative culture. The hope of taking on the religious leaders was born out of frustration and years of watching young girls forced into an arranged marriage with older men. Following the completion of my first degree, I went home with all the youthful exuberance and recognized that life was more complicated than I
visualized. Not long after stepping on powerful influential toes, my time in the country was up. The decision to return for a master degree was made in a hurry given the hostile environment. My determination to prove that all sexes can achieve any goal resulted in two doctorate degree programs. Now, I’m on another chapter, episode, and page of this great novel.

What are some of your recent achievements?

Watching students come into class looking fearful and then transformed into an academic butterfly. Writing recommendation letters for graduate programs. Seeing my eldest son get ready for a graduate program and coming back to the U. Watching the last of refugee single mothers buy a house and finally got integrated into mainstream America after 16 years of following them in a prospective study. Listening to my only daughter says mother “I’m going to be an engineer like my brother and father.” Following Malala Yousafzai’s determination to live out her dreams. Seeing girls all over the world say yes, I can be as good as anyone.

What was your academic background before coming to the University of Utah?

I have a combine honors bachelor in Sociology and Anthropology, with a concentration in Medical Sociology. Followed by a Master of Public Health, with a concentration in Global health; and Behavioral Science and Health Education. Doctorates in Human Ecology and Healthcare Administration

What can students expect out of your upcoming Social Justice Diversity and Health Special Topics course?

A course like no other – we will go where others have not gone. All areas of social justice, diversity and health are open for intensive review and debate. We will evaluate policies, programs, and projects; appraise hot topics of the day, weeks, months, years and let the chips fall where they may. We will take a trip into different world views and transfer ourselves from all known familiar landscape to the unknown as we seek to comprehend others’ standpoint in relation to our own positions. We will confront prevailing issues, concepts, and constructs and allow ourselves be challenged. Critical learning involves moving from our accustomed terrain to the unfamiliar as we allow ourselves experience that which is totally alien to us. Learning is like a puzzle and we will carefully make different patterns, create a mosaic to understand all sides of the coin. Our inductive and deductive analysis will be born out of an array of information synthesize into a complete whole to make
sense of these times.
Alumni in Action

Meet Clayton Scrivner, an alumnus of the MPA program. The MPA program asked him a few questions about life after graduation:

Who is your current employer and what is your job title?
I am the PR and Marketing Manager at Salt Lake County Parks and Recreation.

What are some of the duties of your job? Recent achievements?
SL County Parks and Recreation constructs, operates, and maintains over 107 parks, 22 recreation centers, urban and rural trails, and open space – as well as facilitates sports and other programing for Salt Lake County residents.

I oversee the organization’s website, manage media relations, and guide all marketing efforts for the agency. Right now, we are celebrating the connection of Parley’s Trail to Sugar House Park, I love working on projects that have a positive impact on our community.

What are some of your past careers, and how did your MPA lead to your new career?
I was the media manager at the Utah Office of Tourism for 10 years, worked at Salt Lake City Hall as the Civic Engagement Manager, and ran Ben McAdams’ successful re-election campaign in 2016. Getting an MPA was not only a great resume-builder, it made me a better public employee by giving me a more global understanding of governance.

What advice would you give to incoming or current MPA students?
Graduate school was my favorite educational undertaking, because of the camaraderie and collegiality of the cohort experience. Learn as much as you can from the unique experience and perspective of your peers.

Meet Anna Brower, an alumna of the MPA program. The MPA program asked her a few questions about life after graduation:

Who is your current employer and what is your job title?

Voices for Utah Children

Senior Policy Analyst

What are some of the duties of your job? Recent achievements?

As a Senior Policy Analyst, I will be responsible for conducting research and policy advocacy on a variety of issues that impact children in Utah, including early childhood education and quality childcare for working families. I will also be able to continue important work on juvenile justice reform, embarked upon in partnership with Voices for Utah Children during my time at the ACLU of Utah. As part of an informal coalition of community stakeholders, our organizations produced multiple reports and recommendations to influence the state’s official juvenile justice system reform efforts in 2016 and 2017. I look forward to monitoring the implementation of legislation passed during the 2017 legislative session, aimed at improving outcomes for kids and reducing racial disparities in Utah’s juvenile justice system. I’m also eager to take my experience advocating for reform in Utah’s public defender system for adults, and apply that to advocating for reform on the juvenile side of
the public defender world.

What are some of your past careers, and how did your MPA lead to your new career?

Since earning my bachelor’s degree in journalism from the University of Denver approximately one million years ago, I have worked in a variety of capacities in the non-profit and public sectors. Usually, my professional contributions have included some blend communications, development and community outreach. When I began the MPA Executive program in 2012, I was the Development Director of the ACLU of Utah. I wasn’t in the program very long before I realize that I wanted to shift my professional focus to policy analysis and advocacy. I believe the realization crystalized right around the time I landed in Lina Svedin’s policy analysis class. I was hooked. I worked with my employer to shift out of my fundraising position and into a policy advocacy role, focusing exclusively on criminal justice reform. That year of policy advocacy work was the most fun I’ve had professionally in a long time! I continued with the ACLU of Utah for several more years, working on a blend of policy
and communications work, until this amazing opportunity emerged to work with Voices for Utah Children.

What advice would you give to incoming or current MPA students?

Don’t worry about grades. Study the things that interest you. Enjoy your fellow students. Talk often and respectfully to people who have different perspectives that yours. Group work can actually be amazing (but pick your group members wisely).
Student Spotlight

Meet Georgina Griffith, a first student in the MPA program. The MPA program asked her a few questions about her experience:

What is your academic/professional background?

I graduated from Southern Virginia University, majoring in Visual Arts as well as Family and Child Education. I was a Marriott scholar and was involved in student government.

In 2014 I moved to Salt Lake City and was hired as an assistant program manager for the Success in Education Foundation's Keys to Success Program. In my current role of senior foundation manager, I work with the foundation president to develop new programs and enhance old ones. I also oversee the three educational programs in the foundation and love every day of it.
How have your MPA studies helped you in your academic/professional pursuits?

The immediate application to my current position from what I am learning in my coursework is incredible. I have already been able to implement new procedures as well has work on my skillset as a manager from my studies.

Additionally, I am Dr. Valero's Community Engaged Learning Graduate Assistant, which has helped me in my goals to become more learned about community relationships as well as academic research.
What type of career would you like once you graduate?

I would like to grow to a director of development career position to focus on growth and necessary evolutions that take place within foundations. My eventual goal is to be involved with politics surrounding education.
What advice would you give to current or incoming students?

"You are not here merely to make a living. You are here in order to enable the world to live more amply, with greater vision, with a finer spirit of hope and achievement. You are here to enrich the world, and you impoverish yourself if you forget the errand." - Woodrow Wilson

Memorial: Steven Henry Shaha
https://utah.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=006f2944c222ffb3c705d71df&id=b831ccc69a&e=f655df5476
Our deepest condolences go out to the Shaha family, as Steven Shaha was a distinguished faculty member that will be sorely missed.

A message from MPA Director Rick Green:
"I had the privilege of getting to know Steve Shaha in the early 2000s when I came to the UofU. He was one of the most ebullient and charming persons I’ve ever met, and he brought all that plus his brilliance and experience with quantitative methods, outcomes analysis, and program evaluation into the classroom. He was known for making quantitative analysis easy to understand for even the most math-averse students, and he got rave reviews because of that. Teaching was his avocation, while he spent much of his career jetting around the world as a highly respected consultant, often working in the health outcomes field. Steve will be sorely missed, and our sincerest condolences go out to Abby, his daughter and MPA alum, and the rest of his family."

Upcoming Events

Roundtable Discussion with U.S. Air Force Major General David Harris

Join PAGE and Major General Harris to hear more about military opportunities and career options for Public Affairs students. All are welcome!

Contact Us
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

University of Utah MPA

Physical Address:
332 S. 1400 E., Rm. 236
Salt Lake City, UT  84112

Mailing Address:
University of Utah MPA
332 S. 1400 E., Rm. 236
Salt Lake City, UT 84112
Campus Address:
Building 73 (Old Law School Building), Rm. 236

Phone:
801-581-6781
** mpa.utah.edu (https://utah.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=006f2944c222ffb3c705d71df&id=568fc75a47&e=f655df5476)

This email was sent to Mpajobs at lists.csbs.utah.edu (mailto:Mpajobs at lists.csbs.utah.edu)
why did I get this? (https://utah.us11.list-manage.com/about?u=006f2944c222ffb3c705d71df&id=6a69e83c00&e=f655df5476&c=998c3d5fb0)     unsubscribe from this list (https://utah.us11.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=006f2944c222ffb3c705d71df&id=6a69e83c00&e=f655df5476&c=998c3d5fb0)     update subscription preferences (https://utah.us11.list-manage.com/profile?u=006f2944c222ffb3c705d71df&id=6a69e83c00&e=f655df5476)
University of Utah MPA . 260 S. Central Campus Drive, Orson Spencer Hall (OSH), Room 214 . Salt Lake City, UT 84112 . USA

Email Marketing Powered by MailChimp
http://www.mailchimp.com/monkey-rewards/?utm_source=freemium_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=monkey_rewards&aid=006f2944c222ffb3c705d71df&afl=1